Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Who are journalists?

This morning, watching the BBC correspondent in Afghanistan reporting, I thought to myself, who is this guy? What qualifies him to tell me what's happening there? It brought back to mind the stories of reporters flooding in Pakistan in the early 90s, all staying in the Hilton, desparate for a story but without access to any real people, without any depth of knowledge on the situation (3 Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson). I thought, wouldn't it be better if our news came to us via experts on that area. We can foresake the journalist 'quality' of language for some real insight in my opinion.

Then I came across this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/jun/15/fiction-poetry

Perhaps it is not the end of newspapers but the beginning of a new era.

No comments: